Yogya: A guide to the best warungs and shops
By Eleanor Rivers s8
University of Technology Sydney
I've been living in Yogya on the ACICIS program for almost two semesters
now, and during my whole time I have lived in the same, great, kost,
in the Pogung Baru area off Jl. Kaliurang. I've gotten to know the
area pretty well, and the girls in my kost have told me the best
places for things, so here is a run down of good places mostly along
the Jl. Kaliurang strip.
best Nasi Goreng in Yogyakarta is just a bit further north of
Maju Supermarket, kilometer 5,3 on the west side. At the moment
Nasi Goreng Ayam is rp2000 and with Udang is 2100. It's next to
warung that sells gudeg.
- If you're living in the Pogungs, a good place for lunch is Mbak
Um's on the East end of Blok C... Javanese food.
Also in the Pogungs, the west end between Blok B and C there is
a great Padang place with a lovely lady who loves to gossip about
all the westerners in the area!
- MonaLisa/Silvania, km5, is also a nice little spot, with a good
variety of food. Most of it's
nice (some of it is not so nice).
- Warung Hijau, just a bit further north of the Mataram Ditch
is also quite good.
- Rumah Makan Ananda (Jl. Kaliurang, east, up towards the ringroad)
- not bad prices and great seafood.
- PUJAYO (PUsat JAjanan YOgya), just a bit further south from
Mirota Kampus has the best juices (it also belongs to the father
of a friend of mine!).
- There is a great Bubur Ayam place just south of Mirota Kampus
- For the best ayam bakar, Suka Suka on Jalan Kaliurang, can't
- Stationary: best value is at Toko Merah on Jl. Gejayan
(west), north of the Jl. Colombo intersection
- Tailor: Leo's, on the intersection of Jl. Colombo and
- VCD Rental: Wahana on Jl. Kaliurang (east) - best variety
- Supermarket: Mirota Kampus is the cheapest for most
things around this area
- Photo developing: Anita's on Jl. Kaliurang (east) -
a little bit more expensive, but I have never had a bad batch
from the place
- Internet: when we arrived in January there was only
two internet places in the area, ranging from expensive and not
so good to cheap and not good at all. Now, there are at least
10 within walking distance from my house, and the standard seems
to be a lot better (or maybe I'm just used to it). Bugs next to
Hackey's Cafe (Jl. Kaliurang km5, west) is good and the people
are really friendly. Tell them that Ela sent you!